St Andrew's Parish Church - a short history


Mercian Way marker

St Andrew's was the daughter church of Dowles Parish Church and was built on land given by Robert Woodward of Arley Castle.

C Pountney of Bewdley built the foundation and the contractor responsible for its building was S Dyer (Iron Church Builder, Euston Road, London).

Dowles and Button Oak were in the Hereford Diocese but in 1940 the parish became part of the united Benefice of Ribbesford with Bewdley in the Diocese of Worcester.

The last Rector of Dowles was the Rev J Tonks who served in Dowles for many years.

The dedication (St Andrew) of the Dowles Church transferred to Button Oak when it closed in 1956. The church was restored with kitchen, cloak room and toilet in 1975. On completion, Bishop Robin Woods came to rededicate the building. In 1993 the then Bishop of Worcester, Rt. Revd Philip Goodrich officiated at the 120th celebrations.